G is for…..Ghana!
This month our country focus for prayer is Ghana.
Some key statistics about Ghana* are:
- Population: 29 million
- Official Language: English (plus 84 tribal languages)
- Major Religions: Religious Freedom
- Life Expectancy: 63.4 years
- Politics: Democratic Republic
- Literacy Rate: 76.6%
The Republic of Ghana is located in West Africa with grasslands in the North and farmland and forestry in the South. The largest man-made lake in Africa, Lake Volta, occupies the central region. Gaining its independence from Britain in 1957, Ghana has a stable democracy with lots of peacekeeping and diplomacy happening within the region. As a result of this there is much religious freedom with good relations between differing groups. Christianity is predominant however religious practises such as animism have mixed in. The younger generation are moving out however as many young people are being given bursaries to move to and study in predominately-Muslim countries.
Points of Prayer:
- Pray for the purity of the church.
- Pray for more life and less formality in the traditional churches.
- Thank God for the number of training institutions in Ghana but pray for more teachers, trainers and translators who are still needed.
- Pray for Evangelism opportunities amongst the numerous groups living within Ghana, especially the more Northern regions.
- Pray for Bible translations – currently 34 languages are being worked on.
- Pray for the abolition of some common practises which prevent freedom for many young girls.
- Pray for the 300, 000+ street children and for those who minister to them.
- Pray for the spread of the Gospel in the cities where there is a large ethnic mix.
(*all statistics and information is accurate up to publication date)
Posted in Country Focus on Feb 05, 2020