H is for…..Honduras!
This month our country focus for prayer is Honduras.
Some key statistics about Honduras* are:
- Population: 8.6 million
- Official Language: Spanish (English in parts of the North)
- Major Religions: Mainly Catholic but there is freedom of religion.
- Life Expectancy: 73.5 years
- Politics: Presidency (Juan Jose Orlando)
- Literacy Rate: 87%
Honduras, located in Central (Latin) America, is a mountainous land with a rain forest and fertile coastal plains. The country is mainly formed of a Spanish culture with some Amerindians (8%). Overall, the country’s wealth is held by a rich minority. The unemployment rate in Honduras is 28% and those in employment usually receive low wages. The majority of the population live under the poverty line and 37% of those are under 15-years old. Corruption is an on-going challenge alongside dealing with external militaries. Evangelicalism is growing and Catholicism is losing popularity but splits are common within the church.
Points of Prayer:
- Give thanksgiving for five decades of evangelical growth and pray that it continues.
- Pray for an end to poverty, crime and corruption within the country.
- Pray for the thousands of children who attempt to flee across the US border, many of whom end up imprisoned in Guatemala and Mexico.
- Pray for the Pepenadores (“garbage dump children”) who scavenge through rubbish tips.
- Pray for the Street Children who are often treated very poorly, including being killed.
- Pray for evangelism to break through into the gangs which are made primarily of young people. These gangs have been linked to drug cartels, kidnapping, extortion and assault.
- Pray for those affected by AIDS. Human trafficking and a macho-culture make addressing AIDS harder.
- Pray for the 47% nominal Catholics to hear the Gospel. Only around 20% attend church actively.
- Pray against the health and wealth gospel. Pray for doctrinal purity and Spirit-filled lives.
- Pray for leaders and unity amongst evangelicals.
- Pray for outreach to the Amerindians who are responsive to the Gospel.
- Pray for the other various forms of outreach including; church-based, social and holistic groups. Also pray for the air time provided to churches on national radio and for the two TV channels and internet radio also available.
(*all statistics and information are accurate up to publication date)
Posted on Feb 29, 2020